CALL & RESPONSE: Art and Poetry
O’Hanlon Center In-Person Gallery Show
juried by Prartho Sereno
July 26 – August 24, 2023
HAND DELIVER to O’Hanlon Center:
up to three pieces to be juried for this show
HAND DELIVERY Entry Dates
Friday July 14, 10 am to 4 pm
Saturday July 15, 10 am to 1 pm
Pick up times for non selected work:
Thursday July 20, 10 am to noon
Friday July 21, 10 am to noon
Saturday July 22, 10 am to 1 pm
Tuesday August 1, 4:00 pm
Tuesday August 1, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
Pick up unsold works
Friday Aug 25, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Saturday Aug 26, 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
$30 OHCA artist level members, $40 non-members,
for up to three pieces paid at time of drop off
via check, cash or credit card.
An ekphrastic poem is a poem based on a work of art. Usually, ekphrastic poems are written about paintings, but they can also be based on a sculpture, an object, or even architecture. One of the earliest examples is in the Iliad, when Homer describes Achilles’ shield. Another famous example is John Keats’ poem, “Ode on a Grecian Urn”.
The juror will select a variety of media and styles, so that each poet will be able to select a work of art that speaks to them and compose a poem to accompany it. Poets will be invited by O’Hanlon Center to participate.
Artworks can be figurative, landscape or abstract. All media is welcome: photography, collage, painting, sculpture, digital, fiber arts etc.
Contemporary, exploratory, and/or experimental entries encouraged.
All Media, including 3D/Sculptural works
- Open to all artists aged 16 and over.
- Submission limit: 3 works per artist.
- Works previously displayed in the O’Hanlon Gallery are not eligible.
- All work must be ready for display. Paint, glue, etc. must be dry!
- Max width for wall pieces: 48” wide
- Wall hung pieces must be securely wired.
- Label all work with Artist’s name & Contact
- Bring resume and/or artist statement, if desired. (2 pages max.)
Please hand-deliver (no digital submissions) up to three pieces of work to: O’Hanlon Center for the Arts • 616 Throckmorton Avenue, Mill Valley CA 94941
You can download and bring two copies of the submission PDF or fill out the form in person when you drop off.
Please note Entry Dates/Times carefully. Late delivery of artwork is not allowed.
By submitting artwork to be considered for any Exhibition, Artist understands and agrees to GALLERY POLICIES shown below.
In-Person Gallery Exhibits
By submitting artwork to be considered for any Exhibition, Artist understands and agrees to the following:
- Participants: Open to all artists age 16 and over.
- Artwork Eligibility: Works previously shown in the O'Hanlon or Loft Galleries (in-person shows) are not eligible for other in-person shows. The same pieces may be considered for an Online show.
- Artwork Size: Maximum 48" width for wall hung pieces, including any frame. No height limits for most exhibits.
- Exhibit Curation: For most exhibits, not all artists will have artwork selected for showing. Final artwork selections are up to the Exhibit Juror(s) and/or Installer/curator, both of which vary from show to show.
- Exhibit Timeline: Accepted work must remain on view for the duration of the exhibition.
- Liability/Insurance: While all reasonable care is taken with submitted artwork, OHCA strongly recommends that exhibiting artists carry their own insurance. OHCA and representatives will not assume any liability for any damage or loss.
- Artwork Sales: Buyers will pay Artist directly for any art sales. Artist agrees to contact OHCA of this sale and make a donation to OHCA of 30% of the sale price, on all sales of artwork within the first 60 days of the exhibition. This includes all artwork exhibited in an OHCA Gallery, in an online OHCA website gallery, and facilitated by OHCA. Donations to OHCA are tax-deductible to the extent permissible by law.
- Artwork Pricing: Artwork does not need to be for sale. You may mark a piece as NFS (Not For Sale) or POR (Price on Request.)
- Publicity: By submitting work, artists agree that photographic images and/or video of the artist and/or their artwork, in whole or in part, may be used by OHCA for publicity in various forms including print, online and social media.
- Newsletter: Artists agree to be added to the O'Hanlon Center Newsletter mailing list, and may unsubscribe at any time.
Art: Christine Lemor; Poetry: Cruwys Brown; Design: JFT
ABOUT THE JUROR:
Prartho Sereno was the Poet Laureate of Marin County (2015-17). She produced over 50 performances & projects which mingled art forms: poetry & dance, painting, music, film… even magic!
“My life has been a quest for the lost continent of awe. With pen and brush as my oars, writing and painting take me there…
I hope my poems and illustrations might take you there too.”