- This event has passed.
POSTPONED Encaustics Workshop w/ KAREN MEADOWS
May 24 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Once you have experienced the magic of working with wax, you will start to discover infinite ways of expression.
If you have worked with Beeswax as a medium, you know what a creative adventure it is to paint, sculpt and carve this luscious material into your creations.
If you are curious about Encaustic and a beginner, this workshop will walk you through the basics and allow for time to create a beautiful piece ready to hang!
During this continuing workshop, we will have time to play with the following techniques:
- Laying down layers of transparent wax.
- Mark-making using a variety of tools.
- Carving in, intarsia (like wood inlay)
- Photo image transfer on encaustic surface.
Bring a toner-based photocopy and learn how to turn it into a decal while embedding it into the wax.
- Cutting your own stencils. Make your own design or patterns that will create a bas-relief surface of colors.
- I will bring my hand made stencils to share
- Using oil pastels for depth and mark-making
- And of course, following your own art-making experiments and discoveries!
As well as using small boards for learning techniques, I will provide larger cradled panels for a final piece.
If you are experienced and wish to work larger, feel free to buy a panel or bring a plywood base to work on.
Optional: Bring images/memorabilia /small objects to collage into your work.
Feel free to contact Karen if you have any questions.
$130, $105 OHCA members,
$40 materials fee to be paid to the facilitator on the day of your class.